Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Web... is transparent.


Facebook Homepage.
News Feed.
What's on your mind?
"Thank you too Michael, I had a great time as well. I'm glad you enjoyed my OTHER pussy ;) I must admit, I haven't had sex in a while, ..."

After having posted this message on her Facebook profile, Tracy T. realised that all her virtual friends were able to read about her private life. She now knows for a fact that the Web is a very transparent platform...!

Of course, in this case, the consequences are quite comic (although she is actually listed as "Engaged"...), but, in other cases, the impact can be quite different when it comes to public matters. Recently in France, many videos have popped up on Youtube or Dailymotion, showing politicians talking in very shocking ways, as they were "unaware" of the presence of a camera. (or so they say!) The main example is President Sarkozy visitng the Agricultural Congress. The Media are absolutely mad about these videos. The ones who are in these videos, however, accuse the Web of spreading a faulse and stolen image. But can we really say that such elements are stolen?

Everything in our world is related to communication. The Web emphasizes the impact of the messages that we hear on the radio, see on TV or read in the newspapers. Indeed, the Internet is participative. Anyone can react to a subject on a blog, on a forum or by leaving a commentary on a News website. The internet user definitely has a voice.

Still, when it comes to transparency, the Web can be dangerous. Last year for example my Ebay account was hacked. My username and my passowrd had been stolen on a website. Now, when I type in my name on Google, I find myself on websites specialized in computer sciences! (You can see that the username which is accused of sending hacked messages to other users is Magali7577 - that's me!)

The Internet is a very vast land of freedom, but when freedom is implied, rules have to be set. Unfortunately today we cannot surf the Web and be 100% sure that our virtual exploration will leave no trace.

No comments:

Post a Comment