Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Web... Breaks your habits.

It is said that the tool is the extension of one's hand. Today, the human nature has adopted several new habits thanks to the Internet. So, can we believe that the Web, because it has become an essential tool in our relations, is the modern hand?

2009.
When I wake up, I turn on my laptop, I double-click on the Fireworks icon, and the Facebook page automatically appears to my swollen eyes. Then I check my e-mails. Then I check my bank account. Then I check the news. Then I check my Twitter account. Then I check...

1989.
Twenty years ago, the scenario would've been different. I would've woken up, feeling fresh, alert and motivated. Why? The reason is quite simple: I wouldn't have gone to bed so late after having wandered needlessly on the Web. I would have taken the time to rise from my sleep and wake up to the world.
It is clear to me that the Internet has brought a new way of living to us humans. Everything seems connected, everyone is related, anything is reachable. Ten years ago, I just moved back from California after three years in Palo Alto. My classmates, my neighbours and my life over the Atlantic was over. However, the late 90's had already adopted the Web and it opportunities. This allowed me to stay in touch with my American side. By sending e-mails instead of letters that would have taken a week to cross the continents, by posting pictures of my family and my French buddies on my "Skyblog", by filming myself in my new environment with my Webcam on MSN Live...

Nowadays, thanks to social networks, the distance and the physical barriers have been broken down, and have been replaced by a sense of immediacy. The Web is therefore part of our lives, and has irrevocably changed our habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment